Dear Friends of Mountain Traditions, Do you know these important facts?:
- Asheville's Mountain Dance and Folk Festival is the oldest Folk Festival in the nation,
founded in 1928 by Bascom Lamar Lunsford, and still held the first weekend in August, "Along About Sundown."
- Shindig on the Green was founded in 1967 and is a shining gem of preservation,
recognized at the national level and is one of Western North Carolina's favorite free family activities.
- These events receive no regular money from the City of Asheville, state, or federal governments,
and must raise all their own money and are completely self-supporting.
- Shindig takes place in the heart of downtown Asheville at Pack Square Park's Roger McGuire Green, on the Bascom Lamar Lunsford Stage.
- Both Shindig and Festival are at a critical place and would like your help,
because of increasing costs. Shindig and Festival have always depended on the kindness of strangers and the support of our community in order to exist. Please help us by mailing your contribution immediately to: Folk Heritage Committee P.O. Box 1010 Asheville, NC 28802 e-mail your questions to: email@example.com Make your tax-deductible checks payable to Folk Heritage Committee. The committee's goals of preserving and perpetuating our region's southern Appalachian music and dance traditions require working in partnership with the community it serves. The committee operates under the Community Betterment Foundation of the Asheville Area Chamber of Commerce. The foundation was incorporated in Dec., 1991, and is exempt from federal taxes under the IRS code 501(c)(3). The federal identification number is 56-1762978. Sincerely, the Folk Heritage Committee.